SMOB Convetion Delegates Needed!Wed, 10/30/2019 - 6:36pm
Consider applying to be a delegate to the Student Member of the Board convention! HCASC is looking for a representative from each grade.
Students held the first Student Member Convention on February 21, 2018. The event gathered over 130 delegates from every middle and high school in Howard County to narrow down a pool of applicants to 2 final candidates for the Student Member of the Board. Throughout the day, delegates interacted with the applicants and with each other. As the final culmination of the day’s events, delegates cast their votes for the final 2 Student Member of the Board candidates.
Perhaps most impressively, the Convention was led entirely by students. Delegates were encouraged to think about themselves as student leaders and representatives of their school communities. These ideals were put into practice by the diverse committee of Howard County Association of Student Councils (HCASC) students who facilitated the Convention.
Students selected to serve as delegates will receive additional training for serving as a delegate to the Student Member of the Board of Education Convention by attending monthly HCASC meetings, completing online webinars, and attending a training session on February 12, 2020 from 6:00 - 8:30 p.m. at the Homewood Center.
A successful delegate will....
- Serve as a representative leader of his/her classmates.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the Student Member of the Board of Education.
- Respect the ideas of others.
- Work well with other students.
- Read and evaluate the writing and presentations of other students.
- Give and receive constructive feedback.
- Make up work or activities missed while attending convention.
- Demonstrate interest in the democratic process, leadership, and public service.
- Prepare to review SMOB applications before the convention.
- Promote the position of SMOB.
- Participate in delegate training sessions at HCASC meetings or online.
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and sensitivity.
Check with the front office for applications. Completed applications, including teacher recommendations, are due by November 22nd.
Interested in becoming a delegate? Check out this flyer.
Watch this video from last year's SMOB Convention to better understand what the convention is and why you should consider taking part in it!